7.13.2011

Summer Thai Noodles with Shrimp and Sweet Peas


I love summer time for all the fresh fruit and vegetables that arrive in the grocery store. I came up with this recipe tonight all because my grocery store was selling fresh green peas and they looked so juicy and delicious.

- 1/2 a pack of flat rice noodles (the ones used for pad thai)
- one shallot sliced finely
- one clove garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli pepper flakes
- about 20 raw shrimp, shells removed and de-veined
- two cups chicken broth
- one can coconut milk
- juice of two limes
- two cups fresh peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro (optional)
- lime wedges for garnish

1. In a bowl of water, soak noodles for one hour.

2. In a large pan or wok heat a small amount of oil and toss in shallots. Cook on medium heat until softened. 

3. Add garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes to coat shallots, then add shrimps, grilling on each side until fully cooked (when pink all over).

4. Remove shrimps from pan leaving seasoning and shallots. Add chicken stock, coconut milk and lime juice. Bring up to a low bubble, them lower heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes stirring frequently.

5. Add peas and allow to return to a simmer.

6. Remove noodles from water and add them to the wok, stirring them to cover them with sauce. Allow noodles to soak in sauce for 3-5 minutes or until softened.

7. Season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper.

8. Serve topped with shrimp and chopped cilantro with a wedge of lime on the side.

Serves 4.

This dish is summer-y and fresh with a nice spicy kick. I really enjoyed it but there are a few changes i would make if I were to make it again. I was simply limited by what I had in my kitchen.

I would use fresh ginger instead of ground ginger as well as fresh red chillies (be careful, the fresh ones can be very spicy!). I also would have used lemongrass to substitute some of the lime juice. You can find lemongrass at asian supermarkets. It is packed with a citrusy flavour that is really unique and delicious.

I hope you like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here...