8.30.2011

Memories in Objects

I'm visiting my family in Winnipeg this week and I was able to go to my cottage for the first time all summer. My cottage is my favourite place in the world. Nearly every object in the cottage has a story that goes along with where it came from. When I go to the cottage it's like visiting old friends. Here are some of my favourites.


Many objects are souvenirs from trips people have gone on over the past 70 years or more. These are working bellows that we use actually use to start the fire. They have soft leather sides and wooded top and bottom. 

There are three wooden chairs that are all painted in different colours with different designs. My aunt Marke painted them when she was a teenager. 

This is a stylized New Zealand fish hook. My Opa saw them and liked the shape so he made a large one which now hangs near the fireplace. 

My grandparents found this while they were traveling and bought it because it looked just like their daughter Saskia. I never met Saskia but I always liked this painting. 

Eating and cooking is very important at the lake and the cooking utensils are all kept in the same location that they have always been kept. The drawer is lined with this lovely wall paper. Opening the drawer is like stepping back in time a little bit. 

The rest of the utensils are kept in this lovely ice bucket. One side is a little bit melted from getting too close to the stove but it still does the job. 

Finally there is the big wooden world map which hangs in the living room. It is a little bit inaccurate (some countries appear twice) but nobody really minds. It was made by my great grandfather, my mother's Opa. He also built the cottage for our family and we will always be grateful to him for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comment here...